Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Steaming Vegetables

Personally for me if I am not roasting my vegetables the only other way to go is to steam them. The stainless steel steamer that comes with your pots and pans is fabulous to use with many different kinds of vegetables and other foods also. It not only keeps the nutrition in the food but tastes so much better than boiling them in a saucepan. I cannot remember the last time I boiled a vegetable.

Most of us were brought up on the idea of boiling a vegetable in a saucepan but through the years many of us have regarded this as a way of over cooking.

Most vegetables you can steam. I steam corn on the cob, potatoes, yams, brussel sprouts, asparagus, eggplant and other vegetables; but I do still boil my frozen peas but only just to the boil and then they are done. If you are adding frozen corn or peas to a stirfry you do not have to cook them first and the taste is so much nicer.

Another food you can steam is whole crab legs, prawns, mussels or clams. You will find you will never cook your vegetables or shellfish any other way. If your vegetables or shellfish are ahead of the main dish you can turn your steamer off just before they are done and they will be still be crisp when your main course is ready to eat.

So next time you cook vegetables get out that stainless steel steamer that goes with your stock pot and you will never boil vegetables again.

1 comment:

  1. Now this sounds good to me. I love vegetables a lot. Eating healthy for me is important. If this make the veggies taste good, than I'm in for it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete