Saturday, October 24, 2009

Smoking Chum

Well, I have been so busy I haven't had too much time to write anything. I went to the Chum Derby to volunteer and came home with 100 lbs of fish. Some people like to fish but do not want to take the time to deal with cleaning and smoking them. Chum should be smoked, it is much nicer that way. The first batch went in. I had brined it with just 4 part brown sugar and 1 part non iodine salt for 24 hours, rinsed it, let it sit for 1 hour then dipped the chunks of fish with their skin on in honey. Then I let it sit for a while longer and put it in the smoker with apple and cherry wood chips. It was very good. Unfortunately, I was so tired from a long weekend of fishing, filleting, live music and of course a few glasses of wine, I had to smoke them overnight. My electrical cord in my smoker was not working properly so it took more than a 12 hour smoke but we did it. The next batch was much better since we replaced the cord. There was so much fish to deal with that my kitchen was a disaster.
All said and done for the smoking then we had to vaccum pack it all. Don' t forget to take off the skin if you cut the fillets into chunks. This was a two day or more procedure for all of this but it is so worth it! Anyone got any smoke salmon recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment